Gay Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“Age of the Twink” - NY Times

Welcome to the Age of the Twink

The article is basically about how Twinks have been worshipped this year with movies like Call Me By Your Name and LGBT singers like Olly Alexander and Troye Sivan getting a lot of success and attention this year.

Since the article went up, there has been huge backlash on Twitter, just type in “age of the Twink” and many tweets come up expressing their anger and annoyance at the article.

Tweets like “Every year is the year of the Twink” and “Saying that it’s the year of the Twink is like asking for Straight pride, it’s always year of the Twink!”

I think the article is right in what’s it’s saying, but you could ask any gay person and they’d say the exact same thing. Twinks have always been put on pedestal, it’s not unique to this year. As a certified #twink, I completey understand the annoyance at the article because it comes across as very dense and attention-seeking with the photo shoot and the title. But I also see the validity in the article. The article also reinforces lgbt “sects” (Twinks, bears, otters etc) which is incredibly damaging to gay men and their sense of worth.

What do y’all think?

AgisMole

The twink structure is theoretically quite a turn on for me. The practical problem is that it is often associated with a young age which can be a source of embarassment for an old gay. In the pic you have posted, Dillon, it seems to me there is only one in 36 apparently mature man. Mebbe more than the twinks themselves is this general idea of youth we like to put on pedestal and that's an evergreen recurrent topic like some village feasts that traditionally are repeated every year.

The twink structure is theoretically quite a turn on for me. The practical problem is that it is often associated with a young age which can be a source of embarassment for an old gay. In the pic you have posted, Dillon, it seems to me there is only one in 36 apparently mature man. Mebbe more than the twinks themselves is this general idea of youth we like to put on pedestal and that's an evergreen recurrent topic like some village feasts that traditionally are repeated every year.
True, youth is so valued and sexualised in the gay community. When I turned 20, I literally thought that there wasn’t much life left to live because so much importance is placed on being as young as possible. Skinny, boyish bodies on young (white) men are much more valued than any other type in the gay community (in general). But everyone that is gay already knew this so why this article was wrote I do not know lol.
I wish we could get to a point where these “tribes” aren’t so rigid and exclusive. Like you can be attracted to anyone you want but putting people into boxes and attributing value to these boxes based on how much they fit (or don’t fit) a certain criteria is so damaging to gay men, mentally and physically.

AgisMole

I wish we could get to a point where these “tribes” aren’t so rigid and exclusive. Like you can be attracted to anyone you want but putting people into boxes and attributing value to these boxes based on how much they fit (or don’t fit) a certain criteria is so damaging to gay men, mentally and physically.
Yes Dillon (y), it is an interesting point of yours which I second and. somehow, follows closely a thought of a past Italian philosopher: Giambattista Vico.

Se anche ci fosse un dio artefice dell'uomo, l'uomo sarebbe il dio degli artefatti

Even if there was a god creator (artisan) of the man(kind), the man(kind) would be the god/creator (artisan) of his(its) own creations.

Personally I've always thought it could seem a bit odd if one had to become the slave of a creation of her own.

But we must admit the problem of addictions exists and has always existed so far even from a theoretical point of view we could name the "-isms problem"

Now, if it was only to fill the empty spaces of a magazine or a format or to propose an attentional commitment we could accept it or, at most, speak of a venial sin.

The sin can get deadly instead when the proposal gets a strictly normative imposition.

Yes Dillon (y), it is an interesting point of yours which I second and. somehow, follows closely a thought of a past Italian philosopher: Giambattista Vico.

Se anche ci fosse un dio artefice dell'uomo, l'uomo sarebbe il dio degli artefatti

Even if there was a god creator (artisan) of the man(kind), the man(kind) would be the god/creator (artisan) of his(its) own creations.

Personally I've always thought it could seem a bit odd if one had to become the slave of a creation of her own.

But we must admit the problem of addictions exists and has always existed so far even from a theoretical point of view we could name the "-isms problem"

Now, if it was only to fill the empty spaces of a magazine or a format or to propose an attentional commitment we could accept it or, at most, speak of a venial sin.

The sin can get deadly instead when the proposal gets a strictly normative imposition.
This is brilliantly written! You’re so right.
I have so much to learn from you! :)

AgisMole

Thank you Dillon! :O)***
But since I've recently celebrated both my 58th birthday and my 20th year of browsing that started - I still remember - with a 56k modem in 1998, you can rest assured I learnt from you, young people, much much more, my poor written English included, than I could teach ^_^.
Moreover, there's a horrible risk in feeling wise and "mature": the more you feel mature the closer gets the moment you have to fall from the tree and the higher you think having climbed that tree the lower is gonna be the hole you will dig beside the trunk.
So I'd still prefer to feel young a bit more, to have still many things to learn from you babes and to celebrate, for instance, this way

happymole.png *cough cough*